BSc(Hons) Psychology MB BS MRCPsych, CCST in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Certificate in Using a Family Therapy Approach in a Work Setting.
Approved clinician status for the purposes of section 145(1), including approval under section 12(2), of the Menatl Health Act 1983.
The British Medical Association, The Medical Defence Union, and The Association of Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Areas of expertise
Mental Illness, Personality Disorder, Alcohol and Drug Misuse, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Sexual abuse, Parenting.
Foreign Languages Spoken:
I trained as a doctor at University College London. Before training in child & adolescent psychiatry, I had four years’ experience training in general adult psychiatry, including posts in old age psychiatry and eating disorders. Prior to becoming a consultant, I had four years specialist training in child & adolescent psychiatry involving the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with mental health problems. In addition, I have experience of family therapy, individual therapy, group work, and preparing reports for court. I have also been involved with the teaching and training of a wide range of professionals including junior medical staff, nurses, social workers, and dieticians.
Between January 2000 and May 2003, I was a consultant in child and adolescent psychiatry in Carmarthen where I worked in a community-based child and family service in a predominantly rural area. I had a key role in the development of this local service in terms of generic and specialist outpatient clinics.
I then moved to a consultant post in Oxford initially working in an outpatient service and developed expertise in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Autistic Spectrum Disorder.
Following this, between 2005-2012, I worked in High Wycombe, developing a service for adolescents with eating disorders and continued my work with other mental health disorders.
I also developed further expertise in assessment of Autistic Disorder and have recently completed the ADOS training for this. Most recently in June 2012 I took up the consultant post in the outreach Service for children and Adolescents (OSCA) in Oxford.
I have been involved in preparing reports for the court both throughout my Specialist Registrar training and consultant career. I have had considerable experience of preparing reports for the court and have given evidence as an expert witness. I have reported on the following areas:
• Family Proceedings involving; contact, residence, fostering, and adoption issues.
• Personal Injury cases following road traffic accidents, a riding accident and an attack by dogs.
• Mental health concerns associated with school non-attendance and educational issues impacting on mental health functioning.
• Mental Health issues associated with parents’ asylum status.
• Psychiatric reports for adolescent young offenders.
• Contact and Residence Issues.
• Mental health issues in children related to witnessing and experiencing parental domestic violence.
• Emotional harm; assessing the effects of domestic violence on parent and child.
• Mental health issues and recommendations regarding contact following alleged sexual abuse.