Consultant Psychiatrist at Macintyre School, Wingrave, Aylesbury (a special school for adolescents with Autism and Intellectual disabilities)
MB BS, Diplomate of National Board (Gen. Medicine) Primary, MD (Psychiatry), Diplomate of National Board (Psychiatry), FRCPsych (UK)
- Approved Clinician status for the purposes of section 145(1), including approval under section 12(2), of the Mental Health Act 1983
- Accredited for assessment of Capacity under Mental capacity Act and DoLS (Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards) assessments
- Accredited for use of DISCO (Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication disorders) used with children, young people and adults of any age; for any level of ability, for any manifestation of an autism spectrum profile from the most obvious to the most subtle. It can also assist in identifying co-existing conditions often associated with the autism spectrum, such as ADHD, Dyspraxia and other developmental conditions
- Trainer for Core and Higher trainees in Psychiatry with Health Education Thames valley (formerly Oxford Deanery)
- Examiner at Royal College of Psychiatrists for MRCPsych examination (2007 to present);
- Training Programme Director for Core trainees in Health Education Thames Valley (2007 – 2020)
- Fellow, Royal College of Psychiatrists, UK;
- Member, British Medical Association;
- Life Member, Indian Psychiatric Society and Indian Association for Social Psychiatry (IASP);
- Member of British Neuropsychiatry Association (BNPA);
- Member of RADiANT (a professional group with research interest in Intellectual Disability, Autism, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Epilepsy, and Acquired Brain Injury)
- Member of British Indian Psychiatry Association
Areas of expertise
- Assessment and management of mental illness in learning disabilities, and challenging behaviour.
- Assessment and management of comorbidities associated with Autism Spectrum Disorder;
- Management of epileptic syndromes associated with intellectual disabilities
- Awarded National Talent Scholarship 1975 – 1981.
- Topped in MD (Psychiatry) at Institute of Medical Sciences, Varanasi, Dec 1988
English, Hindi, Bengali, Marathi, Urdu, and Punjabi
I trained in UK and India, and have extensive experience in subspecialties of Psychiatry over 30 years of clinical practice. Before joining Psychiatry I trained and gained experience in Internal medicine and sub-specialties, that has provided me with a good understanding of how physical and mental health interface and help me manage co-morbid conditions with overlapping presentation.
I have many years’ experience in preparing medico-legal reports for Court including criminal and civil cases, capacity assessments and assessing deprivation of liberty cases. I keep myself updated with current knowledge of law relating to mental health and intellectual disabilities.